[DISCUSS] Maven 3.5.0?

Christopher Tubbs-2
Okay, so, PR#314[1] updates the formatter plugin in the master branch to
fix an issue with the previous formatter, which stopped formatting
javadocs. Unfortunately, the newer plugin also declares that it requires
Maven 3.5.0 or later to run. This is probably not true, but it does seem to
be enforced by some versions of Maven, which refuse to execute the plugin.

So, we have a two choices:

1. Revert the change, and wait for a possible upstream fix which will let
us do builds with earlier versions of Maven, or
2. Accept it as is, and just do builds in the master branch with the latest
and greatest version of Maven, 3.5.0.
  2a. Configure the maven-enforcer-plugin in Accumulo's builds to require
Maven 3.5.0 or later to solidify the decision, or
  2b. Leave Accumulo's minimum build version at 3.2.5, as it is today, and
hope the formatter plugin backs off on its requirements in a newer version,
which we will update to when available so builds won't fail when using
3.2.5 or 3.3.9.

Personally, I'm inclined to prefer option 2b. Maven 3.5.0 is pretty nice to
use anyway. I'm loving the colorized output. And also, we need something to
keep the formatting correct during development in the master branch, and
the earlier versions either have broken javadoc formatting, or use a very
antiquated Eclipse formatter that is terrible at line-wrapping. Given the
choices, I don't think requiring builds to be done with 3.5.0 is all that
bad. 2b is a decent option over 2a, because you can still add
'-P!autoformat' to skip formatting if you're stuck with an older version of
Maven.

And, if anybody is interested, I already updated Jenkins jobs on
builds.apache.org to use Maven 3.5.0, so they should be fine, regardless.

[1]:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/314/commits/41ec3e2a248e22037e200edfcae65c08eafab687

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.5.0?

Keith Turner
Maven 3.5.0 would be ok w/ me, especially if we get the javadocs
formatting working again.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, so, PR#314[1] updates the formatter plugin in the master branch to
> fix an issue with the previous formatter, which stopped formatting
> javadocs. Unfortunately, the newer plugin also declares that it requires
> Maven 3.5.0 or later to run. This is probably not true, but it does seem to
> be enforced by some versions of Maven, which refuse to execute the plugin.
>
> So, we have a two choices:
>
> 1. Revert the change, and wait for a possible upstream fix which will let
> us do builds with earlier versions of Maven, or
> 2. Accept it as is, and just do builds in the master branch with the latest
> and greatest version of Maven, 3.5.0.
>   2a. Configure the maven-enforcer-plugin in Accumulo's builds to require
> Maven 3.5.0 or later to solidify the decision, or
>   2b. Leave Accumulo's minimum build version at 3.2.5, as it is today, and
> hope the formatter plugin backs off on its requirements in a newer version,
> which we will update to when available so builds won't fail when using
> 3.2.5 or 3.3.9.
>
> Personally, I'm inclined to prefer option 2b. Maven 3.5.0 is pretty nice to
> use anyway. I'm loving the colorized output. And also, we need something to
> keep the formatting correct during development in the master branch, and
> the earlier versions either have broken javadoc formatting, or use a very
> antiquated Eclipse formatter that is terrible at line-wrapping. Given the
> choices, I don't think requiring builds to be done with 3.5.0 is all that
> bad. 2b is a decent option over 2a, because you can still add
> '-P!autoformat' to skip formatting if you're stuck with an older version of
> Maven.
>
> And, if anybody is interested, I already updated Jenkins jobs on
> builds.apache.org to use Maven 3.5.0, so they should be fine, regardless.
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/314/commits/41ec3e2a248e22037e200edfcae65c08eafab687

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.5.0?

ivan bella
+1 2b

perhaps we could automatically skip the javadoc formatting if not using Maven 3.5.0+ with an appropriate console message.

> On October 23, 2017 at 10:24 PM Christopher wrote:
>
> Okay, so, PR#314[1] updates the formatter plugin in the master branch to
> fix an issue with the previous formatter, which stopped formatting
> javadocs. Unfortunately, the newer plugin also declares that it requires
> Maven 3.5.0 or later to run. This is probably not true, but it does seem to
> be enforced by some versions of Maven, which refuse to execute the plugin.
>
> So, we have a two choices:
>
> 1. Revert the change, and wait for a possible upstream fix which will let
>
> us do builds with earlier versions of Maven, or
>
> 1. Accept it as is, and just do builds in the master branch with the latest
>
> and greatest version of Maven, 3.5.0.
>  2a. Configure the maven-enforcer-plugin in Accumulo's builds to require
> Maven 3.5.0 or later to solidify the decision, or
>  2b. Leave Accumulo's minimum build version at 3.2.5, as it is today, and
> hope the formatter plugin backs off on its requirements in a newer version,
> which we will update to when available so builds won't fail when using
> 3.2.5 or 3.3.9.
>
> Personally, I'm inclined to prefer option 2b. Maven 3.5.0 is pretty nice to
> use anyway. I'm loving the colorized output. And also, we need something to
> keep the formatting correct during development in the master branch, and
> the earlier versions either have broken javadoc formatting, or use a very
> antiquated Eclipse formatter that is terrible at line-wrapping. Given the
> choices, I don't think requiring builds to be done with 3.5.0 is all that
> bad. 2b is a decent option over 2a, because you can still add
> '-P!autoformat' to skip formatting if you're stuck with an older version of
> Maven.
>
> And, if anybody is interested, I already updated Jenkins jobs on
> builds.apache.org to use Maven 3.5.0, so they should be fine, regardless.
>
> [1]:
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/314/commits/41ec3e2a248e22037e200edfcae65c08eafab687

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.5.0?

Christopher Tubbs-2
This discussion may be moot. I'm going to try to work on
https://github.com/revelc/formatter-maven-plugin/issues/243 soon (today,
hopefully).

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:00 AM ivan bella <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 2b
>
> perhaps we could automatically skip the javadoc formatting if not using
> Maven 3.5.0+ with an appropriate console message.
>
> > On October 23, 2017 at 10:24 PM Christopher wrote:
> >
> > Okay, so, PR#314[1] updates the formatter plugin in the master branch to
> > fix an issue with the previous formatter, which stopped formatting
> > javadocs. Unfortunately, the newer plugin also declares that it requires
> > Maven 3.5.0 or later to run. This is probably not true, but it does seem
> > be enforced by some versions of Maven, which refuse to execute the
> plugin.
> >
> > So, we have a two choices:
> >
> > 1. Revert the change, and wait for a possible upstream fix which will let
> >
> > us do builds with earlier versions of Maven, or
> >
> > 1. Accept it as is, and just do builds in the master branch with the
> latest
> >
> > and greatest version of Maven, 3.5.0.
> >  2a. Configure the maven-enforcer-plugin in Accumulo's builds to require
> > Maven 3.5.0 or later to solidify the decision, or
> >  2b. Leave Accumulo's minimum build version at 3.2.5, as it is today, and
> > hope the formatter plugin backs off on its requirements in a newer
> version,
> > which we will update to when available so builds won't fail when using
> > 3.2.5 or 3.3.9.
> >
> > Personally, I'm inclined to prefer option 2b. Maven 3.5.0 is pretty nice
> > use anyway. I'm loving the colorized output. And also, we need something
> > keep the formatting correct during development in the master branch, and
> > the earlier versions either have broken javadoc formatting, or use a very
> > antiquated Eclipse formatter that is terrible at line-wrapping. Given the
> > choices, I don't think requiring builds to be done with 3.5.0 is all that
> > bad. 2b is a decent option over 2a, because you can still add
> > '-P!autoformat' to skip formatting if you're stuck with an older version
> of
> > Maven.
> >
> > And, if anybody is interested, I already updated Jenkins jobs on
> > builds.apache.org to use Maven 3.5.0, so they should be fine,
> regardless.
> >
> > [1]:
> >
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/314/commits/41ec3e2a248e22037e200edfcae65c08eafab687

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.5.0?

Christopher Tubbs-2
I just pushed an update to formatter-maven-plugin (version 2.5.0); when it
gets in Maven Central, I'll push a fix to Accumulo.