[DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 1.7.4

Christopher Tubbs-2
*****
The following is a draft announcement for the 1.7.4 release. If all is
good, I will send to [hidden email] and [hidden email] on
Monday.
*****

The Apache Accumulo project is pleased to announce the release of Apache
Accumulo 1.7.4! This release contains many bug fixes, performance
improvements, build quality improvements, and more. This is a maintenance
(patch) release. Users of any previous 1.7.x release are strongly
encouraged to update as soon as possible to benefit from the improvements
with very little concern in change of underlying functionality.

NOTICE: As development shifts to maintaining the newer versions of Accumulo
(1.9 and beyond), this will likely be the last maintenance release of the
1.7 series, so users should begin making plans to upgrade to 1.8 or later,
if they haven't already.

This version is now available in Maven Central, and at:
https://accumulo.apache.org/downloads/

The full release notes can be viewed at:
https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.7.4/

Apache Accumulo® is a sorted, distributed key/value store that provides
robust, scalable data storage and retrieval. With Apache Accumulo, users
can store and manage large data sets across a cluster. Accumulo uses Apache
Hadoop's HDFS to store its data and Apache ZooKeeper for consensus.

The Apache Accumulo Team

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 1.7.4

Mike Miller-2
Keith and I still need to add info for the testing we did to RC-0 to the
release notes.  I don't think this will have to hold up the release or
announcement but just a heads up the "Testing" section is blank right now.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 4:33 PM, Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *****
> The following is a draft announcement for the 1.7.4 release. If all is
> good, I will send to [hidden email] and [hidden email] on
> Monday.
> *****
>
> The Apache Accumulo project is pleased to announce the release of Apache
> Accumulo 1.7.4! This release contains many bug fixes, performance
> improvements, build quality improvements, and more. This is a maintenance
> (patch) release. Users of any previous 1.7.x release are strongly
> encouraged to update as soon as possible to benefit from the improvements
> with very little concern in change of underlying functionality.
>
> NOTICE: As development shifts to maintaining the newer versions of Accumulo
> (1.9 and beyond), this will likely be the last maintenance release of the
> 1.7 series, so users should begin making plans to upgrade to 1.8 or later,
> if they haven't already.
>
> This version is now available in Maven Central, and at:
> https://accumulo.apache.org/downloads/
>
> The full release notes can be viewed at:
> https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.7.4/
>
> Apache Accumulo® is a sorted, distributed key/value store that provides
> robust, scalable data storage and retrieval. With Apache Accumulo, users
> can store and manage large data sets across a cluster. Accumulo uses Apache
> Hadoop's HDFS to store its data and Apache ZooKeeper for consensus.

> The Apache Accumulo Team

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 1.7.4

Michael Wall-2
In your notice to upgrade, it would be nice to provide some links.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018, 17:00 Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Keith and I still need to add info for the testing we did to RC-0 to the
> release notes.  I don't think this will have to hold up the release or
> announcement but just a heads up the "Testing" section is blank right now.
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 4:33 PM, Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > *****
> > The following is a draft announcement for the 1.7.4 release. If all is
> > good, I will send to [hidden email] and [hidden email] on
> > Monday.
> > *****
> >
> > The Apache Accumulo project is pleased to announce the release of Apache
> > Accumulo 1.7.4! This release contains many bug fixes, performance
> > improvements, build quality improvements, and more. This is a maintenance
> > (patch) release. Users of any previous 1.7.x release are strongly
> > encouraged to update as soon as possible to benefit from the improvements
> > with very little concern in change of underlying functionality.
> >
> > NOTICE: As development shifts to maintaining the newer versions of
> Accumulo
> > (1.9 and beyond), this will likely be the last maintenance release of the
> > 1.7 series, so users should begin making plans to upgrade to 1.8 or
> later,
> > if they haven't already.
> >
> > This version is now available in Maven Central, and at:
> > https://accumulo.apache.org/downloads/
> >
> > The full release notes can be viewed at:
> > https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.7.4/
> >
> > Apache Accumulo® is a sorted, distributed key/value store that provides
> > robust, scalable data storage and retrieval. With Apache Accumulo, users
> > can store and manage large data sets across a cluster. Accumulo uses
> Apache
> > Hadoop's HDFS to store its data and Apache ZooKeeper for consensus.
> >
> > --
> > The Apache Accumulo Team

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 1.7.4

Christopher Tubbs-2
What links?

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In your notice to upgrade, it would be nice to provide some links.
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018, 17:00 Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Keith and I still need to add info for the testing we did to RC-0 to the
> > release notes.  I don't think this will have to hold up the release or
> > announcement but just a heads up the "Testing" section is blank right
> now.
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 4:33 PM, Christopher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > *****
> > > The following is a draft announcement for the 1.7.4 release. If all is
> > > good, I will send to [hidden email] and [hidden email]
> on
> > > Monday.
> > > *****
> > >
> > > The Apache Accumulo project is pleased to announce the release of
> Apache
> > > Accumulo 1.7.4! This release contains many bug fixes, performance
> > > improvements, build quality improvements, and more. This is a
> maintenance
> > > (patch) release. Users of any previous 1.7.x release are strongly
> > > encouraged to update as soon as possible to benefit from the
> improvements
> > > with very little concern in change of underlying functionality.
> > >
> > > NOTICE: As development shifts to maintaining the newer versions of
> > Accumulo
> > > (1.9 and beyond), this will likely be the last maintenance release of
> the
> > > 1.7 series, so users should begin making plans to upgrade to 1.8 or
> > later,
> > > if they haven't already.
> > >
> > > This version is now available in Maven Central, and at:
> > > https://accumulo.apache.org/downloads/
> > >
> > > The full release notes can be viewed at:
> > > https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.7.4/
> > >
> > > Apache Accumulo® is a sorted, distributed key/value store that provides
> > > robust, scalable data storage and retrieval. With Apache Accumulo,
> users
> > > can store and manage large data sets across a cluster. Accumulo uses
> > Apache
> > > Hadoop's HDFS to store its data and Apache ZooKeeper for consensus.
> > >
> > > --
> > > The Apache Accumulo Team

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 1.7.4

Christopher Tubbs-2
Sorry, I'm not feeling well today. If somebody else could send out the
announcement, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll have to deal with it
tomorrow.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:46 AM Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What links?
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In your notice to upgrade, it would be nice to provide some links.
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 24, 2018, 17:00 Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Keith and I still need to add info for the testing we did to RC-0 to the
>> > release notes.  I don't think this will have to hold up the release or
>> > announcement but just a heads up the "Testing" section is blank right
>> now.

>> on

>> Apache
>> maintenance
>> improvements

>> > Accumulo
>> the
>> > later,

>> provides
>> users
>> > Apache

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 1.7.4

Sean Busbey-6
A guide on upgrading to 1.8. Things that changed / broke that folks upgrading need to look out for, etc.

On 2018/03/26 15:46:39, Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What links?
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In your notice to upgrade, it would be nice to provide some links.
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 24, 2018, 17:00 Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Keith and I still need to add info for the testing we did to RC-0 to the
> > > release notes.  I don't think this will have to hold up the release or
> > > announcement but just a heads up the "Testing" section is blank right
> > now.

> > on

> > Apache
> > maintenance
> > improvements

> > > Accumulo
> > the
> > > later,

> > users
> > > Apache

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 1.7.4

Christopher Tubbs-2
To keep the announcement as brief as possible, and to ensure that
information persists in the docs (rather than only in the email archives),
it might be best to add those links to the release notes, which is already
linked.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:01 PM Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A guide on upgrading to 1.8. Things that changed / broke that folks
> upgrading need to look out for, etc.
>
> On 2018/03/26 15:46:39, Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > What links?
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the
> or
> > > now.

> all is
> [hidden email]
> > > on

> > > Apache
> > > maintenance
> > > improvements

> of
> > > the

> provides
> > > users
> uses

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 1.7.4

Michael Wall
Yea, I was thinking just a mention to see the release notes in the NOTICE
section.  Although you could just link to
https://accumulo.apache.org/docs/2.0/administration/upgrading which is
where the release notes point.  With the 1.8.1 release, we moved toward
putting upgrade instructions in the release notes (
http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.8.1/#upgrading), but it looks
like we are moving back to dedicated page.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Keith and I still need to add info for the testing we did to RC-0 to the
> release notes.  I don't think this will have to hold up the release or
> announcement but just a heads up the "Testing" section is blank right now.

I created a PR with testing info.

https://github.com/apache/accumulo-website/pull/71