[DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

[DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Michael Wall
The Apache Accumulo PMC decided to draft its quarterly board
reports on the dev list. Here is a draft of our report which is due
by Wednesday, Jan 9, 1 week before the board meeting on
Wednesday, Jan 16. Please let me know if you have any feedback.

I will submit this Wed morning.  Thanks to Keith and Mike Walch for help
with a script to gather the counts of issues and PRs across all our repos.

Mike

----

 - The Apache Accumulo sorted, distributed key/value store is a robust,
   scalable, high performance data storage system that features cell-based
   access control and customizable server-side processing.  It is based on
   Google's BigTable design and is built on top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper,
   and Thrift.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
 - There was 1 new release, Accumulo-2.0.0-alpha-1 since the last
   report [1] to coincide with the Accumulo Summit which was held on
   Oct 15 [2].
 - The PMC decided to stop using IRC and started a new channel on Slack
   for communication with the community [3].

## Health report:
 - The project remains healthy.  Activity levels on mailing lists, issues
and
   pull requests remain constant.

## PMC changes:
 - Currently 34 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Nick Felts on Thu Mar 22 2018

## Committer base changes:
 - All committers are PMC members

## Releases:
 - accumulo-2.0.0-alpha-1 was released on Sat Oct 13 2018

## Mailing list activity:
 - Nothing significant in the figures

## Issue activity:
 - 68 issues created [4] and 48 closed [5] across all the Accumulo repos
   since the last report.
 - 140 pull requests created [6] and 136 closed [7] across all the Accumulo
repos
   since the last report.

[1]: https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-2.0.0-alpha-1/
[2]: http://accumulosummit.com/
[3]: https://the-asf.slack.com/messages/CERNB8NDC
[4]:
https://github.com/search?q=is:issue+created:2018-10-17..2019-01-16+repo:apache/accumulo+repo:apache/accumulo-website+repo:apache/accumulo-examples+repo:apache/accumulo-docker+repo:apache/accumulo-testing+repo:apache/accumulo-wikisearch+repo:apache/accumulo-proxy+repo:apache/accumulo-maven-plugin+repo:apache/accumulo-pig+repo:apache/accumulo-instamo-archetype+repo:apache/accumulo-bsp
[5]:
https://github.com/search?q=is:issue+closed:2018-10-17..2019-01-16+repo:apache/accumulo+repo:apache/accumulo-website+repo:apache/accumulo-examples+repo:apache/accumulo-docker+repo:apache/accumulo-testing+repo:apache/accumulo-wikisearch+repo:apache/accumulo-proxy+repo:apache/accumulo-maven-plugin+repo:apache/accumulo-pig+repo:apache/accumulo-instamo-archetype+repo:apache/accumulo-bsp
[6]:
https://github.com/search?q=is:pr+created:2018-10-17..2019-01-16+repo:apache/accumulo+repo:apache/accumulo-website+repo:apache/accumulo-examples+repo:apache/accumulo-docker+repo:apache/accumulo-testing+repo:apache/accumulo-wikisearch+repo:apache/accumulo-proxy+repo:apache/accumulo-maven-plugin+repo:apache/accumulo-pig+repo:apache/accumulo-instamo-archetype+repo:apache/accumulo-bsp
[7]:
https://github.com/search?q=is:pr+closed:2018-10-17..2019-01-16+repo:apache/accumulo+repo:apache/accumulo-website+repo:apache/accumulo-examples+repo:apache/accumulo-docker+repo:apache/accumulo-testing+repo:apache/accumulo-wikisearch+repo:apache/accumulo-proxy+repo:apache/accumulo-maven-plugin+repo:apache/accumulo-pig+repo:apache/accumulo-instamo-archetype+repo:apache/accumulo-bsp

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Josh Elser-2
Thanks for putting a draft together, Mike. A few suggestions:

Please be a little more explicit that Nick was added as a committer. I
had to read it twice before realizing what you meant.

The report seems fine, perhaps a little light on what the project's
current trajectory actually is. Since 2.0.0-alpha-1, what are the
project's goals? Bolstering up the "Activity" header would be
appreciated by the board, I'm sure.

On 1/6/19 9:30 PM, Michael Wall wrote:

> [...]
> https://github.com/search?q=is:pr+created:2018-10-17..2019-01-16+repo:apache/accumulo+repo:apache/accumulo-website+repo:apache/accumulo-examples+repo:apache/accumulo-docker+repo:apache/accumulo-testing+repo:apache/accumulo-wikisearch+repo:apache/accumulo-proxy+repo:apache/accumulo-maven-plugin+repo:apache/accumulo-pig+repo:apache/accumulo-instamo-archetype+repo:apache/accumulo-bsp
> [7]:
> https://github.com/search?q=is:pr+closed:2018-10-17..2019-01-16+repo:apache/accumulo+repo:apache/accumulo-website+repo:apache/accumulo-examples+repo:apache/accumulo-docker+repo:apache/accumulo-testing+repo:apache/accumulo-wikisearch+repo:apache/accumulo-proxy+repo:apache/accumulo-maven-plugin+repo:apache/accumulo-pig+repo:apache/accumulo-instamo-archetype+repo:apache/accumulo-bsp

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Hi Josh, thanks for reviewing.

The "PMC Changes" was copied directly from the reporter.apache.org
template.  The "Committer base changes" was in response to feedback from
the board several reports ago asking if all committers were PMC members.  I
could say something like "All Committers are also PMC members, see the PMC
Changes section for details".  Is that what you mean by more explicit?  Or
do you mean something else?

I went through the mailing lists and didn't really find anything else to
add under Activity.  Last three months have been pretty light.  Anyone have
anything we can add to the report?

On 1/7/19 11:26 AM, Michael Wall wrote:
> Hi Josh, thanks for reviewing.
>
> The "PMC Changes" was copied directly from the reporter.apache.org
> template.  The "Committer base changes" was in response to feedback from
> the board several reports ago asking if all committers were PMC members.  I
> could say something like "All Committers are also PMC members, see the PMC
> Changes section for details".  Is that what you mean by more explicit?  Or
> do you mean something else?

I had initially thought just copy/paste'ing the text from the PMC
additions was good, but, on second thought, suggesting that readers look
at the PMC additions section in the Committer additions section is just
as good.

Thanks for the careful attention, Mike!

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Mike Miller-2
There have been a few critical fixes in 1.9 and 2.0, both warranting
releases soon.  You could mention something like that in the activity.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:49 AM Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/7/19 11:26 AM, Michael Wall wrote:
> > Hi Josh, thanks for reviewing.
> >
> > The "PMC Changes" was copied directly from the reporter.apache.org
> > template.  The "Committer base changes" was in response to feedback from
> > the board several reports ago asking if all committers were PMC
> members.  I
> > could say something like "All Committers are also PMC members, see the
> PMC
> > Changes section for details".  Is that what you mean by more explicit?
> Or
> > do you mean something else?
>
> I had initially thought just copy/paste'ing the text from the PMC
> additions was good, but, on second thought, suggesting that readers look
> at the PMC additions section in the Committer additions section is just
> as good.
>
> Thanks for the careful attention, Mike!

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Michael Wall
Got it, thanks for the feedback Josh.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:49 AM Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/7/19 11:26 AM, Michael Wall wrote:
> > Hi Josh, thanks for reviewing.
> >
> > The "PMC Changes" was copied directly from the reporter.apache.org
> > template.  The "Committer base changes" was in response to feedback from
> > the board several reports ago asking if all committers were PMC
> members.  I
> > could say something like "All Committers are also PMC members, see the
> PMC
> > Changes section for details".  Is that what you mean by more explicit?
> Or
> > do you mean something else?
>
> I had initially thought just copy/paste'ing the text from the PMC
> additions was good, but, on second thought, suggesting that readers look
> at the PMC additions section in the Committer additions section is just
> as good.
>
> Thanks for the careful attention, Mike!

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Michael Wall
Thanks Mike,

Perhaps something from
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+label%3Av1.9.3
?  Any of those you were thinking?

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There have been a few critical fixes in 1.9 and 2.0, both warranting
> releases soon.  You could mention something like that in the activity.
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:49 AM Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On 1/7/19 11:26 AM, Michael Wall wrote:
> > > Hi Josh, thanks for reviewing.
> > >
> > > The "PMC Changes" was copied directly from the reporter.apache.org
> > > template.  The "Committer base changes" was in response to feedback
> from
> > > the board several reports ago asking if all committers were PMC
> > members.  I
> > > could say something like "All Committers are also PMC members, see the
> > PMC
> > > Changes section for details".  Is that what you mean by more explicit?
> > Or
> > > do you mean something else?
> >
> > I had initially thought just copy/paste'ing the text from the PMC
> > additions was good, but, on second thought, suggesting that readers look
> > at the PMC additions section in the Committer additions section is just
> > as good.
> >
> > Thanks for the careful attention, Mike!

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Mike Miller-2
I'd say either 800, 819 or 854 or all of the above.  Basically any that
Keith worked on haha.  Maybe he can chose his favorite if you just want
one... Keith?
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/854
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/819
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/800

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 8:29 AM Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Mike,
>
> Perhaps something from
>
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+label%3Av1.9.3
> ?  Any of those you were thinking?
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > There have been a few critical fixes in 1.9 and 2.0, both warranting
> > releases soon.  You could mention something like that in the activity.

> > from
> > > members.  I
> the
> > > PMC
> explicit?
> > > Or
> > >
> > > I had initially thought just copy/paste'ing the text from the PMC
> > > additions was good, but, on second thought, suggesting that readers
> look
> > > at the PMC additions section in the Committer additions section is just
> > > as good.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the careful attention, Mike!

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Keith Turner
I suspect the board is not looking for too much detail given all of
the reports they have to read.  I think adding : "There have been a
few critical fixes warranting 1.9.3 release soon" would be good.  I
modified the sentence from an earlier email.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 11:42 AM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd say either 800, 819 or 854 or all of the above.  Basically any that
> Keith worked on haha.  Maybe he can chose his favorite if you just want
> one... Keith?
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/854
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/819
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/800
>
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 8:29 AM Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Mike,
> >
> > Perhaps something from
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+label%3Av1.9.3
> > ?  Any of those you were thinking?
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > There have been a few critical fixes in 1.9 and 2.0, both warranting
> > > releases soon.  You could mention something like that in the activity.

> > > from
> > the
> > explicit?

> > look

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2019

Michael Wall-2
Thanks Keith, thanks Mike. Will modify and send now.