[DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

[DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Michael Wall
The Apache Accumulo PMC decided to draft its quarterly board
reports on the dev list. Here is a draft of our report which is due
by Wednesday, Jul 11, 1 week before the board meeting on
Wednesday, Jul 18. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

I am a little earlier with this one since I will be on vacation 5-15 Jul.
My plan is to submit this report sometime on Mon, Jul 9.

Mike

----------

 - The Apache Accumulo sorted, distributed key/value
 store is a robust, scalable, high performance data storage system that
 features cell-based access control and customizable server-side
 processing.  It is based on Google's BigTable design and is built on
 top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift.

## Issues:

 - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:

 - There were 2 new releases, Accumulo 1.9.0 and Accumulo 1.9.1 since
 the last report.  The 1.9.0 release [1] had a critical bug in the Write
 Ahead Log (WAL) process that is fixed in 1.9.1 [2].
 - There were no new committers since the last report.  All committers
 are also PMC members.
 - The PMC decided to switch to using github issue for the project and all
 subprojects [3], which is why the Jira activity dropped off.  Github issues
 and pull request statistics are included below.
 - Another bug has been found in the WAL process and a 1.9.2 is in the
works.

## Health report:

 - The project remains healthy.  Activity levels on mailing lists, git
 and JIRA remain constant.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 34 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Nick Felts on Thu Mar 22 2018

## Committer base changes:

 - See PMC changes, all committers are PMC members currently.

## Releases:

 - accumulo-1.9.0 was released on Tue Apr 17 2018
 - accumulo-1.9.1 was released on Sun May 13 2018

## Mailing list activity:

 - Nothing significant in the figures

## Issue activity:

 - 25 issued open and 19 closed in the last 3 months [4]
 - 10 pull requests opened and 58 closed in the last 3 months [5]

[1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.0/
[2]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.1
[3]: http://accumulo.apache.org/blog/2018/03/16/moving-to-github-issues.html
[4]:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+
[5]:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Mike Drob
Worth mentioning upcoming summit?

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018, 3:54 PM Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Apache Accumulo PMC decided to draft its quarterly board
> reports on the dev list. Here is a draft of our report which is due
> by Wednesday, Jul 11, 1 week before the board meeting on
> Wednesday, Jul 18. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
>
> I am a little earlier with this one since I will be on vacation 5-15 Jul.
> My plan is to submit this report sometime on Mon, Jul 9.
>
> Mike
>
> ----------

>  - The Apache Accumulo sorted, distributed key/value
>  store is a robust, scalable, high performance data storage system that
>  features cell-based access control and customizable server-side
>  processing.  It is based on Google's BigTable design and is built on
>  top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift.
>
> ## Issues:
>
>  - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.
>
> ## Activity:
>
>  - There were 2 new releases, Accumulo 1.9.0 and Accumulo 1.9.1 since
>  the last report.  The 1.9.0 release [1] had a critical bug in the Write
>  Ahead Log (WAL) process that is fixed in 1.9.1 [2].
>  - There were no new committers since the last report.  All committers
>  are also PMC members.
>  - The PMC decided to switch to using github issue for the project and all
>  subprojects [3], which is why the Jira activity dropped off.  Github
> issues
>  and pull request statistics are included below.
>  - Another bug has been found in the WAL process and a 1.9.2 is in the
> works.
>
> ## Health report:
>
>  - The project remains healthy.  Activity levels on mailing lists, git
>  and JIRA remain constant.
>
> ## PMC changes:
>
>  - Currently 34 PMC members.
>  - No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
>  - Last PMC addition was Nick Felts on Thu Mar 22 2018
>
> ## Committer base changes:
>
>  - See PMC changes, all committers are PMC members currently.
>
> ## Releases:
>
>  - accumulo-1.9.0 was released on Tue Apr 17 2018
>  - accumulo-1.9.1 was released on Sun May 13 2018
>
> ## Mailing list activity:
>
>  - Nothing significant in the figures
>
> ## Issue activity:
>
>  - 25 issued open and 19 closed in the last 3 months [4]
>  - 10 pull requests opened and 58 closed in the last 3 months [5]
>
> [1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.0/
> [2]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.1
> [3]:
> http://accumulo.apache.org/blog/2018/03/16/moving-to-github-issues.html
> [4]:
>
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+
> [5]:
>
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Mike Walch

We should report the number of opened issues and not number of issues
currently open. The issue activity report should be the following

## Issue activity:

 - 44 issues opened and 19 closed in the last 3 months [4]
 - 68 pull requests opened and 58 closed in the last 3 months [5]

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Best to use https:// for links. It's a good habit.

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Apache Accumulo PMC decided to draft its quarterly board
> reports on the dev list. Here is a draft of our report which is due
> by Wednesday, Jul 11, 1 week before the board meeting on
> Wednesday, Jul 18. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
>
> I am a little earlier with this one since I will be on vacation 5-15 Jul.
> My plan is to submit this report sometime on Mon, Jul 9.
>
> Mike
>
> ----------

>  - The Apache Accumulo sorted, distributed key/value
>  store is a robust, scalable, high performance data storage system that
>  features cell-based access control and customizable server-side
>  processing.  It is based on Google's BigTable design and is built on
>  top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift.
>
> ## Issues:
>
>  - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.
>
> ## Activity:
>
>  - There were 2 new releases, Accumulo 1.9.0 and Accumulo 1.9.1 since
>  the last report.  The 1.9.0 release [1] had a critical bug in the Write
>  Ahead Log (WAL) process that is fixed in 1.9.1 [2].
>  - There were no new committers since the last report.  All committers
>  are also PMC members.
>  - The PMC decided to switch to using github issue for the project and all
>  subprojects [3], which is why the Jira activity dropped off.  Github
> issues
>  and pull request statistics are included below.
>  - Another bug has been found in the WAL process and a 1.9.2 is in the
> works.
>
> ## Health report:
>
>  - The project remains healthy.  Activity levels on mailing lists, git
>  and JIRA remain constant.
>
> ## PMC changes:
>
>  - Currently 34 PMC members.
>  - No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
>  - Last PMC addition was Nick Felts on Thu Mar 22 2018
>
> ## Committer base changes:
>
>  - See PMC changes, all committers are PMC members currently.
>
> ## Releases:
>
>  - accumulo-1.9.0 was released on Tue Apr 17 2018
>  - accumulo-1.9.1 was released on Sun May 13 2018
>
> ## Mailing list activity:
>
>  - Nothing significant in the figures
>
> ## Issue activity:
>
>  - 25 issued open and 19 closed in the last 3 months [4]
>  - 10 pull requests opened and 58 closed in the last 3 months [5]
>
> [1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.0/
> [2]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.1
> [3]:
> http://accumulo.apache.org/blog/2018/03/16/moving-to-github-issues.html
> [4]:
>
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+
> [5]:
>
> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Josh Elser-2
+1 definitely. Especially since the organizers went through the proper
TM approval steps.

I'd suggest expanding that, in addition to no new committers/PMC
members, to include an action item. e.g. Should we make a pass over
contributors? Or, is participation "constant" (c=pmc makes this a bit
easier to put into words ;))

On 7/1/18 5:06 PM, Mike Drob wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>   - accumulo-1.9.0 was released on Tue Apr 17 2018
>>   - accumulo-1.9.1 was released on Sun May 13 2018
>>
>> ## Mailing list activity:
>>
>>   - Nothing significant in the figures
>>
>> ## Issue activity:
>>
>>   - 25 issued open and 19 closed in the last 3 months [4]
>>   - 10 pull requests opened and 58 closed in the last 3 months [5]
>>
>> [1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.0/
>> [2]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.1
>> [3]:
>> http://accumulo.apache.org/blog/2018/03/16/moving-to-github-issues.html
>> [4]:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+
>> [5]:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Thanks for all the input

- Added the summit info
- Redid the counts (Mike Walch good catch, I think what you sent still
wasn't quite right.  I think two two queries get it though)
- Used https

Josh, I am not clear on what you are suggesting for another action item.
Are you suggesting a pass over contributors to add see if anyone should be
invited to become a committer or are you suggesting we revisit that every
committer becomes a PMC member?

Updated report is attached.  I'd like to submit it later tonight, so let me
know if there is anything else that should be added/changed.  Thanks
everyone.

-------------------

 - The Apache Accumulo sorted, distributed key/value
 store is a robust, scalable, high performance data storage system that
 features cell-based access control and customizable server-side
 processing.  It is based on Google's BigTable design and is built on
 top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift.

## Issues:

 - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:

 - There were 2 new releases, Accumulo 1.9.0 and Accumulo 1.9.1 since
 the last report.  The 1.9.0 release [1] had a critical bug in the Write
 Ahead Log (WAL) process that is fixed in 1.9.1 [2].
 - The PMC approved the use of the Apache Accumulo trademark for the
   5th annual Accumulo Summit, to be held on October 15, 2018 in Columbia,
MD.
[...]

 - 47 issued created [4] and 26 closed [5] in the last 3 months
 - 73 pull requests created [6] and 66 closed [7] in the last 3 months

[1]: https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.0/
[2]: https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.1/
[3]:
https://accumulo.apache.org/blog/2018/03/16/moving-to-github-issues.html
[4]:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+
[5]:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+closed%3A%3E2018-04-18+
[6]:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+
[7]:
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+closed%3A%3E2018-04-18+

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 1:22 PM Josh Elser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >>   - accumulo-1.9.0 was released on Tue Apr 17 2018
> >>   - accumulo-1.9.1 was released on Sun May 13 2018
> >>
> >> ## Mailing list activity:
> >>
> >>   - Nothing significant in the figures
> >>
> >> ## Issue activity:
> >>
> >>   - 25 issued open and 19 closed in the last 3 months [4]
> >>   - 10 pull requests opened and 58 closed in the last 3 months [5]
> >>
> >> [1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.0/
> >> [2]: http://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.1
> >> [3]:
> >> http://accumulo.apache.org/blog/2018/03/16/moving-to-github-issues.html
> >> [4]:
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+
> >> [5]:
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Mike Drob-4
>which is why the Jira activity dropped off
>Activity levels on [...] JIRA remain constant

These are contradictory.

> - 47 issued created [4] and 26 closed [5] in the last 3 months
> - 73 pull requests created [6] and 66 closed [7] in the last 3 months

These queries don't have an end date. For JIRA it's ok since that's not
changing, but for GH new PRs would get included in the report.
Is that correct? What is our actual reporting window? Note that somebody
might go back and look at historical reports several months later.

Mike

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 3:54 PM, Michael Wall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > TM approval steps.
> >
> > I'd suggest expanding that, in addition to no new committers/PMC
> > members, to include an action item. e.g. Should we make a pass over
> > contributors? Or, is participation "constant" (c=pmc makes this a bit
> > easier to put into words ;))
> >
> > On 7/1/18 5:06 PM, Mike Drob wrote:
> > > Worth mentioning upcoming summit?

> > Jul.

> that

> > Write
> committers
> and
> > all
> the

> git

> github-issues.html

> 93&q=is%3Aissue+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+
> > >>

> > https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&
> q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+created%3A%3E2018-04-18+

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Josh Elser

On 7/9/18 4:54 PM, Michael Wall wrote:
> Josh, I am not clear on what you are suggesting for another action item.
> Are you suggesting a pass over contributors to add see if anyone should be
> invited to become a committer or are you suggesting we revisit that every
> committer becomes a PMC member?

If we say that we have no added any new committers/PMC members in a long
period of time, the board will most assuredly say "Have you looked at
your contributors to see if you should invite some to be committers?"

I was trying to suggest that we proactively tell them "we know we need
to see if there are contributors to invite to be committers" in order to
save that middle step. No need to do this -- just trying to be helpful
based on what I see over and over again from the board :)

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - July 2018

Michael Wall
Mike D, good catch.  Our last report was due at the 18 Apr board meeting,
so I made a date range from 18 Apr to 17 Jul, which is the day before the
board meeting this month.  Those number may fluctuate between now and the
board meeting time but should stay constant after the 17.  To Mike Walch's
point, I summed the open and closed to get the total for created and closed
during the time range for both issues and PRs.

Josh, added a comment that we will review the contributors before the next
meeting.  Always happy to skip middle steps.

Thanks guys.

Mike

--------------

[...]

 are also PMC members.  We will review contributors during the next 3 months
 to see if anyone should be invited to become a committer.
 - The PMC decided to switch to using github issue for the project and all
 subprojects [3], which is why the Jira activity dropped off.  Github issues
 and pull request statistics are included below.
 - Another bug has been found in the WAL process and a 1.9.2 is in the
works.

## Health report:

 - The project remains healthy.  Activity levels on mailing lists, issues
and pull
 requests remain constant.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 34 PMC members.
 - Last PMC addition was Nick Felts on Thu Mar 22 2018

## Committer base changes:

 - See PMC changes, all committers are PMC members currently.

## Releases:

 - accumulo-1.9.0 was released on Tue Apr 17 2018
 - accumulo-1.9.1 was released on Sun May 13 2018

## Mailing list activity:

 - Nothing significant in the figures

## Issue activity:

 - 49 issued created [4] and 28 closed [5] in the last 3 months
 - 75 pull requests created [6] and 67 closed [7] in the last 3 months

[1]: https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.0/
[2]: https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.9.1/
[3]:
https://accumulo.apache.org/blog/2018/03/16/moving-to-github-issues.html