Encouraging introductions for new contributors

Encouraging introductions for new contributors

Christopher Tubbs-2
Accumulo Devs,

It occurs to me that with the increased use of GitHub PRs, we have a
number of contributors which we do not have their contact email
addresses, and who have never participated on the mailing lists.
Perhaps they are not subscribed, or merely lurking. Some of these
contributors have their email addresses in their git logs, but others
might use the github noreply address instead.

Lacking email addresses makes it hard to send invitations to these
people to invite them to become committers/PMC members (if/when that
time comes).

To remedy this, I suggest that whenever we have a new active
contributor submitting pull requests, we encourage them to introduce
themselves on the developer mailing list, and to subscribe there. A
simple comment on their PR like the following should be sufficient:
"Hey there, thanks for contributing. If you plan to contribute
regularly, please consider subscribing to the developer mailing list
and introducing yourself to the other developers in the community."

Does this sound like a good idea? Let me know what you think.

Also, if there's anybody subscribed to this list who has been
contributing and would like to introduce themselves, please consider
doing so now.

Christopher

Re: Encouraging introductions for new contributors

Mike Miller-2
I like this idea.  I think it would help encourage community interaction
and involvement.  It would also help differentiate one off commits vs
developers interested in learning Accumulo and contributing.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:39 AM Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Accumulo Devs,
>
> It occurs to me that with the increased use of GitHub PRs, we have a
> number of contributors which we do not have their contact email
> addresses, and who have never participated on the mailing lists.
> Perhaps they are not subscribed, or merely lurking. Some of these
> contributors have their email addresses in their git logs, but others
> might use the github noreply address instead.
>
> Lacking email addresses makes it hard to send invitations to these
> people to invite them to become committers/PMC members (if/when that
> time comes).
>
> To remedy this, I suggest that whenever we have a new active
> contributor submitting pull requests, we encourage them to introduce
> themselves on the developer mailing list, and to subscribe there. A
> simple comment on their PR like the following should be sufficient:
> "Hey there, thanks for contributing. If you plan to contribute
> regularly, please consider subscribing to the developer mailing list
> and introducing yourself to the other developers in the community."
>
> Does this sound like a good idea? Let me know what you think.
>
> Also, if there's anybody subscribed to this list who has been
> contributing and would like to introduce themselves, please consider
> doing so now.
>
> Christopher

Re: Encouraging introductions for new contributors

Adam Lerman
I really like this idea and think it may help break the ice for new people
joining the community.

Adam Lerman

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:42 AM Mike Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like this idea.  I think it would help encourage community interaction
> and involvement.  It would also help differentiate one off commits vs
> developers interested in learning Accumulo and contributing.
>
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:39 AM Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Accumulo Devs,
> >
> > It occurs to me that with the increased use of GitHub PRs, we have a
> > number of contributors which we do not have their contact email
> > addresses, and who have never participated on the mailing lists.
> > Perhaps they are not subscribed, or merely lurking. Some of these
> > contributors have their email addresses in their git logs, but others
> > might use the github noreply address instead.
> >
> > Lacking email addresses makes it hard to send invitations to these
> > people to invite them to become committers/PMC members (if/when that
> > time comes).
> >
> > To remedy this, I suggest that whenever we have a new active
> > contributor submitting pull requests, we encourage them to introduce
> > themselves on the developer mailing list, and to subscribe there. A
> > simple comment on their PR like the following should be sufficient:
> > "Hey there, thanks for contributing. If you plan to contribute
> > regularly, please consider subscribing to the developer mailing list
> > and introducing yourself to the other developers in the community."
> >
> > Does this sound like a good idea? Let me know what you think.
> >
> > Also, if there's anybody subscribed to this list who has been
> > contributing and would like to introduce themselves, please consider
> > doing so now.
> >
> > Christopher

Re: Encouraging introductions for new contributors

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:39 AM Christopher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Accumulo Devs,
>
> It occurs to me that with the increased use of GitHub PRs, we have a
> number of contributors which we do not have their contact email
> addresses, and who have never participated on the mailing lists.
> Perhaps they are not subscribed, or merely lurking. Some of these
> contributors have their email addresses in their git logs, but others
> might use the github noreply address instead.
>
> Lacking email addresses makes it hard to send invitations to these
> people to invite them to become committers/PMC members (if/when that
> time comes).
>
> To remedy this, I suggest that whenever we have a new active
> contributor submitting pull requests, we encourage them to introduce
> themselves on the developer mailing list, and to subscribe there. A
> simple comment on their PR like the following should be sufficient:
> "Hey there, thanks for contributing. If you plan to contribute
> regularly, please consider subscribing to the developer mailing list
> and introducing yourself to the other developers in the community."
>
> Does this sound like a good idea? Let me know what you think.

Yes

> Also, if there's anybody subscribed to this list who has been
> contributing and would like to introduce themselves, please consider
> doing so now.
>
> Christopher

Re: Encouraging introductions for new contributors

Michael Wall
I think this is a good idea, thanks Christopher.