Fwd: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)

Fwd: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)

Josh Elser-2
tl;dr Infra is upgrading Jenkins in 2 weeks and Java7 Maven jobs
may/may-not work after this. See explanation below from [1]:

<snip>
Users with jobs configured with the "Maven project" type may not be able
to use Java 7 for their Maven jobs. The correct behavior is not
guaranteed so proceed at your own risk. The Maven Project uses Jenkins
Remoting to establish "interceptors" within the Maven executable.
Because of this, Maven uses Remoting and other Jenkins core classes, and
this behavior may break an update.
</snip>

[1] https://jenkins.io/blog/2017/04/10/jenkins-has-upgraded-to-java-8/

Re: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)

Christopher Tubbs-2
Thanks for the heads-up. I think I've already migrated our builds.apache.org
jobs to use JDK8, because of some annoying permgen space exhaustion with
the asciidoc-maven-plugin which I couldn't resolve. We currently rely on
the maven-enforcer-plugin animal-sniffer rule to ensure we avoid Java 8
APIs when compiling with JDK8, so I think we're safe. Although... we may
wish to still do releases on the 1.7 and 1.8 branches using an actual JDK7
if we want to be extra safe for a release.