Re: Master takes awhile to start after Accumulo start-all.sh run

Re: Master takes awhile to start after Accumulo start-all.sh run

o haya
Hi,

The period I was talking about was probably approximately a minute, but I think that you are right that it's just the first startup and might be either HDFS or ZK startup and now what I am working with it more (and restarting only the Accumulo server more), the delay is only a few seconds before the tablet (I only have 1 in my test env) starts.

Thanks,
Jim

 Subject: Re: Master takes awhile to start after Accumulo start-all.sh run
 To: [hidden email], "o haya" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Thursday, May 25, 2017, 11:33 PM

 Hello,

 How long is
 "awhile"? A few seconds, tens of seconds,
 minutes?

 It could take some
 extra time in a virtualized environment, but it's hard
 to know exactly whether what you're seeing is normal or
 not, without knowing how many tablets your system has, how
 fast your networking is, what specs your nodes have, how
 many tablet servers you are running, and any number of other
 factors.

 If you're
 starting HDFS and ZK immediately prior to starting Accumulo,
 Accumulo may be waiting on those to finish starting first.
 You may see some indication of this in the Accumulo logs.

 The other thing is... it can
 take about 30 seconds for the ZooKeeper lock from a
 previously killed Master to disappear, if you're killing
 and restarting it.

 The
 shell may be able to start faster with the
 --disable-tab-completion option.

 On Thu, May
 25, 2017 at 10:04 PM o haya <[hidden email]>
 wrote:
 Hi,

 I followed the procedure on this page to stand up my test
 Accumulo 1.8.1 instance:

 https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-the-big-data-friendly-apache-accumulo-nosql-database-on-ubuntu-14-04

 Everything seems to be working correctly.  To startup,
 I:

 - Run /apps/hadoop/sbin/start-dfs.sh

 - Run /apps/zookeeper/bin/zkServer.sh start

 - Run /apps/accumulo/bin/start-all.sh

 The accumulo startup seems to run all right and I can get to
 the Accumulo website, but the Master is not running.  If I
 wait awhile and check the website again, then everything is
 running, including Master.

 Is it normal for the Master to take awhile to start
 running?  Is there something I can do to get it to start
 faster?

 It seems like I cannot start the Accumulo shell until the
 Master is running...

 Thanks,

 Jim

Re: Master takes awhile to start after Accumulo start-all.sh run

o haya
ok, thanks!

 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Friday, May 26, 2017, 11:35 AM

 On 5/25/17 10:03 PM, o haya
 wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I followed the procedure on this page to
 stand up my test Accumulo 1.8.1 instance:

 > https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-the-big-data-friendly-apache-accumulo-nosql-database-on-ubuntu-14-04
 >
 > Everything seems to
 be working correctly.  To startup, I:

 > - Run
 /apps/hadoop/sbin/start-dfs.sh
 > - Run
 /apps/zookeeper/bin/zkServer.sh start
 > -
 Run /apps/accumulo/bin/start-all.sh

 > The accumulo startup seems to run all
 right and I can get to the Accumulo website, but the Master
 is not running.  If I wait awhile and check the website
 again, then everything is running, including Master.

 > Is it normal for the
 Master to take awhile to start running?  Is there something
 I can do to get it to start faster?

 > It seems like I cannot start the Accumulo
 shell until the Master is running...

 Yes, this is expected. You need at least one
 Accumulo TabletServer
 running to be able to
 use the Accumulo shell. This is because your
 credentials are authenticated before control of
 the shell is returned to
 you. If Accumulo
 isn't actually running, you can't launch the
 shell.