Updated Accumulo People page

Mike Walch-2
I made some updates to the Accumulo people page.

https://accumulo.apache.org/people/

I removed the 'username' column for contributors and changed the column
name to 'apache id' for committers.

In the future, committers and contributors can have their name link to
their GitHub profile.  If you would like this done, email me (and not the
entire mailing list) your GitHub username and I will update the page to
link to your GitHub profile.

Re: Updated Accumulo People page

Mike Drob-4
Can't we query for github id's via id.apache.org or some other infra
service?

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Mike Walch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I made some updates to the Accumulo people page.
>
> https://accumulo.apache.org/people/
>
> I removed the 'username' column for contributors and changed the column
> name to 'apache id' for committers.
>
> In the future, committers and contributors can have their name link to
> their GitHub profile.  If you would like this done, email me (and not the
> entire mailing list) your GitHub username and I will update the page to
> link to your GitHub profile.

Re: Updated Accumulo People page

Mike Walch-2
I haven't looked into that but I don't want to create links to GitHub
profiles unless the committer or contributor wants it.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can't we query for github id's via id.apache.org or some other infra
> service?
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Mike Walch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I made some updates to the Accumulo people page.
> >
> > https://accumulo.apache.org/people/
> >
> > I removed the 'username' column for contributors and changed the column
> > name to 'apache id' for committers.
> >
> > In the future, committers and contributors can have their name link to
> > their GitHub profile.  If you would like this done, email me (and not the
> > entire mailing list) your GitHub username and I will update the page to
> > link to your GitHub profile.

Re: Updated Accumulo People page

Christopher Tubbs-2
I think this is better. New contributors were getting confused over what to
put in this column. Links to other profiles can be left up to the
contributor and can be put on their name. The Apache ID column is really
only useful for tracking PMC/committers (and even then, just to make it
easier than going to https://home.apache.org/phonebook).

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:13 PM Mike Walch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't looked into that but I don't want to create links to GitHub
> profiles unless the committer or contributor wants it.
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 2:03 PM Mike Drob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Can't we query for github id's via id.apache.org or some other infra
> > service?
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Mike Walch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I made some updates to the Accumulo people page.
> > >
> > > https://accumulo.apache.org/people/
> > >
> > > I removed the 'username' column for contributors and changed the column
> > > name to 'apache id' for committers.
> > >
> > > In the future, committers and contributors can have their name link to
> > > their GitHub profile.  If you would like this done, email me (and not
> the
> > > entire mailing list) your GitHub username and I will update the page to
> > > link to your GitHub profile.

Re: Updated Accumulo People page

Sean Busbey
Can we please remove the link to the github "contributors based on commits"
feature?

We expressly ask folks to opt-in to be listed on our people page. While we
can't prevent third parties making publicly accessible indices of our git
history we don't need to raise the visibility of them.

Additionally, relying on a code-metric way of highlighting our contributors
over-emphasizes the importance of that type of contribution vs others.

busbey

Re: Updated Accumulo People page

Christopher Tubbs-2
How is this link different than linking to other contributor activity, like
the git commit graph or the mailing lists?

How is it an over-emphasis on this method of contribution? (It appears to
be a secondary form of acknowledgement on that page, to me; the primary
form being the named individuals taking up most of the space on the page.)

Change it if you wish, but if you can help me better understand your
concerns, I would be grateful.

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we please remove the link to the github "contributors based on commits"
> feature?
>
> We expressly ask folks to opt-in to be listed on our people page. While we
> can't prevent third parties making publicly accessible indices of our git
> history we don't need to raise the visibility of them.
>
> Additionally, relying on a code-metric way of highlighting our contributors
> over-emphasizes the importance of that type of contribution vs others.
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Mike Walch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I made some updates to the Accumulo people page.
> >
> > https://accumulo.apache.org/people/
> >
> > I removed the 'username' column for contributors and changed the column
> > name to 'apache id' for committers.
> >
> > In the future, committers and contributors can have their name link to
> > their GitHub profile.  If you would like this done, email me (and not the
> > entire mailing list) your GitHub username and I will update the page to
> > link to your GitHub profile.

> busbey

Re: Updated Accumulo People page

Mike Walch-2
While I don't have your same concerns, it's OK with me if you remove the
link.

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we please remove the link to the github "contributors based on commits"
> feature?
>
> We expressly ask folks to opt-in to be listed on our people page. While we
> can't prevent third parties making publicly accessible indices of our git
> history we don't need to raise the visibility of them.
>
> Additionally, relying on a code-metric way of highlighting our contributors
> over-emphasizes the importance of that type of contribution vs others.
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Mike Walch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I made some updates to the Accumulo people page.
> >
> > https://accumulo.apache.org/people/
> >
> > I removed the 'username' column for contributors and changed the column
> > name to 'apache id' for committers.
> >
> > In the future, committers and contributors can have their name link to
> > their GitHub profile.  If you would like this done, email me (and not the
> > entire mailing list) your GitHub username and I will update the page to
> > link to your GitHub profile.

> busbey

Re: Updated Accumulo People page

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we please remove the link to the github "contributors based on commits"
> feature?

I don't feel too strongly about this one way or the other.  I am ok
with removing the link.

I am not sure Github commit stats are comprehensive.  I think GH only
shows commits where the email is linked to a GH account.  If this is
true it would be another reason to consider removing the link.

> We expressly ask folks to opt-in to be listed on our people page. While we
> can't prevent third parties making publicly accessible indices of our git
> history we don't need to raise the visibility of them.
>
> Additionally, relying on a code-metric way of highlighting our contributors
> over-emphasizes the importance of that type of contribution vs others.
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Mike Walch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I made some updates to the Accumulo people page.
>>
>> https://accumulo.apache.org/people/
>>
>> I removed the 'username' column for contributors and changed the column
>> name to 'apache id' for committers.
>>
>> In the future, committers and contributors can have their name link to
>> their GitHub profile.  If you would like this done, email me (and not the
>> entire mailing list) your GitHub username and I will update the page to
>> link to your GitHub profile.

> busbey

Re: Updated Accumulo People page

Michael Wall
I am fine removing the link to github contributions as well.